Anniversary

August 14th is a pretty special day around here for me.  Eighteen years ago my wife Kris decided that there was something about me that made her think she could spend the rest of her life with me and that I might somehow be the right person.  Even though there have been numerous times when I have shown her otherwise, she has stuck by me this whole time.  We have two wonderful boys, and I love her more each day.

Ten years ago today was the first time I spent the day away from her.  This day in 2001 was the day I moved to York county to start our collective lives at Allegro.  I moved here without her, without our one-year-old son, and started this big adventure.  They joined me a few weeks later, driving back-and-forth weekly from State College initially.  That fall was the start of the biggest learning curve of my life, both personally and professionally.

The following year brought us our second son and the hardest harvest I ever had.  (There's a zombie-like picture of me from that time that even worries me.....)  The next year, my friend and mentor John passed away and we were truly out on our own.  Those were frighteningly exciting times as we both thought we knew what we were about, although hindsight proves otherwise.  Somehow we made it through, not the worse for wear.  Looking back, it seems we have been here forever, almost a lifetime.  Although it also feels like we've just started.

We're now officially at the opening of our second decade.  For businesses, that usually means your survival rate is pretty good.  Kris and I are already into our third decade with each other, so that experiment seems to be going well, too.  All in all, it's a great place to be. 

Comments