More Planting

Yesterday was a bit easier on us here. I was able to get our first fungicide spray on the vines to start protecting them from the five major diseases we have here in the East. We also got caught up in a couple of our other vineyards as well.

This year we are once again running James Vineyard over in New Bridgeville. It's about a 2.5 acre vineyard planted to hybrids. Mostly Chambourcin and Cayuga, with some Traminette and a little Chelois. We use the Chambourcin for our Forte and dry red, the Cayuga goes into our Brogue Blush, and the Traminette is for our Serenade. The Chelois is usually part of our Nouveau. This is our third year managing this place.

For the first time, we are going to manage part of Stewart Vineyard. This has been the source for the Cabernet Franc that is usually blended into our Reserve wines or Claret depending on the year. The vineyard is about 2.5 acres as well (bringing our total up to about 11 acres) and is comprised of Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Chardonnay. With more Chardonnay at our disposal, we'll probably try another shot at our Steel Chardonnay in 2009. (I know, I said I'd never make it again, but that's what I do...I change my mind...constantly....just ask Ray.)

Today we're going to finish planting our Cabernet Sauvignon I hope. The weather looks like it may cooperate. We'll see.....

Comments